Michelle Shortt and Stu de Haan are the Chapter Heads for The Satanic Temple- Arizona Chapter. TST AZ is a subchapter to the national organization of The Satanic Temple. TST AZ recently made international headlines when the chapter requested to begin a Phoenix City Council Meeting with their own Satanic Invocation.
The biggest misunderstanding many Satanists strive to fight against is the belief that we are devil-worshippers, albeit there are theistic Satanists, there are even more atheistic Satanists that use the character of Satan as a metaphor. We don’t harm children, we don’t harm animals, and we are not evil. In fact, as an organized religion, we feel it is our function to actively provide outreach, to lead by example, and to participate in public affairs wheresoever the issues might benefit from rational, Satanic insights.
- One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
- The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
- One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
- The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
- Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
- People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve anyharm that may have been caused.
- Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word